Easy No-Bake Mango Pie

Sunday, April 17, 2011

I don't usually make pies at home. My husband has never liked them. He thinks filling a pie is a waste of time preferring to eat the filling by itself. I do like not-so-sweet desserts. I used to love the mini apple pies my friend, Aswathy, used to get me while I was pregnant (the sweet and tart combo was perfect, I guess). When I heard she had tried making a mango pie and was not very successful, I decided to see if could make one. The original recipe came from www.cooks.com.

There are two stages if you decide to take the longer, from scratch route- one to make the crust ready and then to make the filling. Or if you prefer the shorter route, you can get the pre-made/pre-baked crust and add the filling. Again, you can make the crust from all-purpose flour/maida or powdered graham crackers (I don't know whether this is available everywhere in the world).

I used a ready made Graham Cracker crust and it worked well. If you are adventurous and want to bake your own pie crust, there are a lot of resources available online.

Difficulty level: Easy
Preparation time: 15 min
Chilling time: 10-12 hrs

Ingredients:

1 graham cracker crust
4 oz.(about 125 gms) cream cheese
4 oz. cool whip
1/4 cup milk
1/4 tsp ground cinnamom
2 to 3 large extra-ripe mangoes (or mangoes from one 850 gms can)


Peel(or drain the can of mangoes) and slice mangoes  into 1 inch cubes, add cinnamon, and set aside. Beat cream cheese and milk until smooth. Add cool whip and mix well. Add mangoes and mix really well so as to get the mangoes uniformly distributed before pouring into the crust. Chill until set.

Dig in!



Priya's hobbies Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino