Eggplant/brinjal fry

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Eggplant/brinjal(വഴുതനങ്ങ) is a vegetable most kids and adults don't like to eat. When I decided to try this, I wasn't sure of how much success I would have. When my son ate the whole thing up, I was delighted. So these are the quantities of the spices I use when I make for him. (For fair warning, my kids are used to some amount of spice. You may want to make adjustments depending on your levels)  This method can be used for other vegetables which can hold its shape, like bittergourd(കൈപ്പക/പാവയ്ക്കാ).

Difficulty Level: Easy
Preparation Time: 5 - 10 Minutes (6- 8 Hours Marination)
Cooking Time: 15 Minutes

Ingredients
Eggplant- 1 medium size
Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
Chilli powder- 1/2 tsp
Oil- 1 tsp+ for shallow-frying
Salt- to  taste

Clean and cut the eggplant into 1" thick pieces(mix the masalas immediately after you cut it, or they'll start changing colour). Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, salt and 1 tsp oil. Keep aside for 6-8 hrs.


Shallow fry until it is light brown.

You can eat this as is like a chip or with rice (like my son).


Priya's hobbies Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino