Pepper Fritters( മുളക് ബജ്ജി )

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I love spicy food. This was, actually, one of my favorites dishes when I was pregnant. The first time I ate this was at the Thrissur Pooram  Exhibition (a major event in my hometown similar to a state fair). This is one of the staple foods sold there and I used to go to the exhibition just to eat them. In India, they use a special pepper which we get in our part of the world. But here in the US, I use either the Hungarian peppers or Banana peppers to make this.

Difficulty level: Easy
Preparation time: 5 min
Cooking time: 20 min
Makes: 18 pieces

Ingredients:

Hungarian peppers: 3,big
Besan( chickpea flour): 1 1/4 cups
Turmeric powder: 1/8 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil: for deep-frying

Cut the peppers into three pieces width-wise and then each in half, lengthwise. So each pepper will give 6 pieces. De-seed them completely, or if you are brave enough leave some seeds behind. 

Make a thick batter of besan with turmeric powder and salt, adding enough water. Dip the pepper in the batter and deep-fry until golden brown. Serve hot with tomato ketchup or chilli sauce or chilli chammandhi.






0 comments:

Priya's hobbies Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino