Dahi puri

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

This used to be my favourite dish when I was pregnant. Every week I used to go, religiously, to Milan chats & sweets in Chicago, to eat this. I had thought it is tough to prepare. When I realised it's not, took the recipe from Tarala Dalal, and got started.

The yoghurt has to be fresh, chilled and of the right consistency- not too thick nor too thin. If yours is not fresh, add a few tablespoons of milk to cut down the sharp acidic taste.
Add a couple of tablespoons of water to the tamarind paste, if it is too thick. This will ensure the uniform spreading of the chutney inside the puris, and obviously this tastes better.

I tried variations to the original and here are my favourites. I liked cooked (with some salt and turmeric powder) black chana (കടല) instead of the sprouts. Also, I liked chat masala (as garnish), instead of cumin powder.

So you can try for yourself to find out your favourite.

Difficulty level: Easy
Preparation time: 25 min
Makes: 2- 3 servings

Ingredients:


Puris: 40
Sprouts: 2/3 cup
Potatoes: cooked and cubed, 2/3 cup
Tamarind chutney: 1 cup
Yoghurt: 3 cups
Salt to taste

For garnishing:
Sev: 1/2 cup
Chilli powder:2 tsp
Cumin powder: 2 tsp
Cilantro: chopped, 2 tbsp

Add the salt to the yoghurt and mix well. Add a couple of tbsps of water to the tamarind chutney, if it is too thick.

Crack holes on top of the puris and arrange on a serving platter. Fill it with sprouts, potatoes, tamarind chutney and top with yoghurt. Sprinkle sev, chilli powder and cumin powder.
Garnish with cilantro and serve immediately. The longer it stays the more soggy it gets, and less appealing.






0 comments:

Priya's hobbies Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino